I’m a big believer in quality over quantity, and that philosophy also extends to my friend’s list on Facebook. Vetting requests is essential. But try to do it gradually, instead of letting them pile up to 800+ as notorious procrastinators do. Not that I’d know. *cough*
And no, I don’t live in an Echo Chamber. I have immense respect for my many Facebook friends that I have some serious ideological differences with. The thing is, they’re not trying to change me any more than I’m trying to change them. It’s about understanding. That’s key.
The people who block other users simply because they hold opposing views ( I know one who blocked every Christian he could find. Get a life and laid there fella) are wrapping themselves in a safe little blanket of self-delusion.
If someone is a disruptive jerk, sure — boot ’em. But to dismiss someone out-of-hand who respectfully shares their opposing views and brings value to the conversation is counterproductive and cry-babyish.
It’s the one trick ponies that I’m referring to here — the people who obsessively laser-focus on a single issue or ideology with the fervor of a missionary willing to become a human dartboard for their cause.
You can usually pick them out with a quick perusal of their page.
So, with all that being said let’s get on with this, shall we?
- You are a self-described “Proud Democrat.” This translates as “insufferable, unapologetic twat” to me. The Progressive Dem-Enter Democrats trying to stem corruption are one thing. The Establishment Neoliberal Democrats celebrating corruption as part of their sacred political identity are quite another.
- If I see more pictures of you hugging your guns than your kids or pro-NRA propaganda, I will have to bid you a Good Day. I’ll pass on your Second Amendment logic-free rants and photos of you proudly fondling dead animal corpses.
- Your page is nothing but endless anti-Trump hysteria. We all know the Marmalade Moron is a tool, but a lot of folks have crossed the line to severe and chronic cases of Trump Derangement Syndrome(TDS). This is one instance where I am perfectly comfortable shunning the afflicted.
- If you’re too obsessed with religious dogma, be it as an overzealous participant or an evangelical atheist. We get it. You DO believe in God. We get it. You DON’T believe in God. You’re both annoying.
- Rabid Anti-vaxxers. They’re right up there with flat-earthers on my RUN SCREAMING meter. Why? I prefer facts over pseudoscience, and I’ve had it out with enough of them to know its a pointless endeavor to engage.
- If you post graphics photos of harm to any living being, no matter how supposedly noble your intent, I’m gonna take a hard pass.
- If you’re a Vote Blue No Matter Who, I no can do. Boo-boo-bee-doo. Yeah but seriously off you fuck with that bullshit. I like to surround myself with critical thinkers, not partisan drones.
- You post profanity-laden rants like it’s your job. Hey, wait —
- Any mention of Q, unless it’s to mercilessly mock it and its legion of credulous True Believers.
- Bunny-Boiling Ex-Berner? Once again, I’ll pass. Anyone who reviles Bernie Sanders, far too often the only legislator who truly has our back, with the passion of that crazy broad in “Fatal Attraction” wouldn’t last long on my page anyway. My friends would eat you alive if I didn’t get to you first.
You know, upon reflection, I may have to make this a two-parter.