It could be persuasively argued that going into 2020, we’re at the most critical juncture in modern human history. The looming specter of catastrophic climate change alone is enough to justify this assertion.
But oh, there’s so much more than that, tragically.
So, in no particular order, here’s a brief sampling of the toxic baggage we’re dragging from this decade to the next:
- We are being gaslit by our governments on an epic, global scale. Most of our “leaders” firmly believe that by repeating a lie often enough, it becomes “truth” no matter how compelling the evidence to the contrary is. Case in point: climate change. This is not a matter of opinion. Rational people don’t question the validity of the theory of gravity. The almost universal consensus of the global scientific community on this issue is not subject to your personal belief system. Facts don’t become fiction just because they threaten your comfy world view.
- Taxing billionaires to Kingdom Come is NOT class warfare. But the system that allows a handful of individuals to amass obscene wealth at the expense of the working class is.
- There is no political savior out there that’s going to rescue us. No, not even Bernie. We have to save ourselves. Not me, us — remember? Unfortunately, things have the potential to get very ugly in 2020. Be prepared for more DNC fuckery and election fraud. Never in human history has the elite class willingly bowed to the inevitable without being forced to by violent insurrection. Not. Once.
- If you champion a dickbag like Michael Vicks but deride teen climate activist Greta Thunberg, it tells me all I need to know about your character, or lack thereof.
- It’s a tough go in a world where ignorance is valued more than intellect, and cruelty trumps kindness. Don’t think this is going to rectify itself any time soon. Be smart and kind anyway. That really pisses them off.
- It’s not selfish or lazy to expect a return on your tax dollars. Healthcare is a fundamental human right, not a bratty demand from a headstrong toddler. There is nothing “unpatriotic” in pointing out we already implement oh-so-despised socialist policies in this country — but mainly for the elites who neither need nor deserve it.
- The old, the young, the sick, and the poor are being systematically murdered by the money-mad oligarchy. If you’re not a cog in the machine that’s making bank for the 1%, you will be left to die as the wealthiest country in the world denies you medical care, shelter, and food. Clearly, this is not promoting the general welfare as the U.S. Constitution dictates.
- “We’re Not Trump” is not an acceptable platform to attract Independents. So, if the Democrats don’t want to tank again, they’ll have to accept that the largest voting bloc in the country is solution-oriented, not problem-obsessed.
- Self-proclaimed anarchists sitting on the sidelines criticizing those doing all the heavy-lifting are not edgy. They are idiots. Give them all the due they deserve, which is none.
- No-one wants “free stuff.” What we DO want is American Big Business paying its fair share, and our tax dollars allocated to benefit the American People, not corporate welfare or an already obscenely bloated defense budget. If you don’t agree, you are acting against your own best interests and those of your children. I mean, seriously. If we have the dough for a wall and a space force(lolz), we have the means to take care of our citizens. We as a nation have shitty priorities. After all, what can you expect from a country that tears babies from their parents and throws them in cages?
Not very cheery or festive, I know. But if there was ever a time to hope for the best while preparing for the worst — it’s now.